IMG_1320_edited-1

The Africa Yoga Project

The Africa Yoga ProjectDancing Mind Yoga is a proud supporter of The Africa Yoga Project, an organization which has been providing Yoga and other well-being services to under-privileged Kenyans since 2007, receiving its American 501c3 charity status in June of 2009.

In the crowded slums of Nairobi, social halls, schools, parks, and open spaces have become home to regular Power Yoga Classes. The Africa Yoga Project provides mats, suitable clothes for participants and continually monitors these classes. The determination of the teachers, combined with the enthusiasm of the students, has led to the project being an incredible success. The teachers and assistants, now with regular classes, are being paid. The classes are free to attend and the wage comes from Africa Yoga Project funding.

The Africa Yoga ProjectThe placement of several participants in externally paid teaching roles throughout Kenya has recently occurred. These newly-employed teachers are empowered with confidence and the knowledge that their future is bright. Three months after Baptiste visited Kenya, the ripple, which is in reality more like a tsunami, is still being felt. It is truly inspirational how Baptiste reached into the hearts of Kenya and left a gift that keeps on giving. This gift is perhaps best described in the words of one participant, after teaching a class at his new place of employment.

“My father is grateful for the money I have given him, and it makes me so proud that I can help. My mother is so happy that I am working and that I am a teacher. If I ever get to see Baron again, I will walk up to him, shake his hand and say, I am a bad ass yoga teacher and I am authentic. You and yoga have changed my life, thank you so much!” Diana Haddow, Level 1 Teacher Training, Kenya 2009